In honour of St Patrick’s Day I decided to make something green. Here is the dairy and gluten free version of a Key Lime Pie. You can divide this between a muffin tray, make one large cake or 3-4 ramekins.
- 1 cupÂ shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 1 cupÂ nuts – I used walnuts and pecans
- Â½ cup pitted dates (soaked in warm water for 30 minutes)
- Baking paper
- 2Â½ firm avocados
- Juice of 3 limes
- 1 teaspoons lime zest
- 1-2 tablespoons of raw honey (depending on how sweet you want it)
- 2 drops of vanilla extract (optional)
- Line your ramekins with baking paper (if using muffin tray it is easier to grease them and not use baking paper)
- Blend the coconut and nuts in a food processor until coarsely ground.Â Add the dates and process until the mixture begins to stick together. Press about 2 tablespoons of mixture into the bottom of eachÂ ramekin.
- Blend the filling ingredients until smooth. Pour 1 heaping tablespoon of the filling into each ramekin. Smooth the top.
4. Garnish with a fresh slice of kiwi or a very thin slice of lime.
5. Freeze for 30-60 minutes to set.
Now if like me you don’t have a food processor but do have a smoothie maker, you can try using that instead. It took a little longer but I got the desired consistency with a little coaxing!
Also if the smell of lime juice makes you fancy a Mojito you should totally make one of those too.